Health insurance in Europe for Americans, Canadians and other non-EU-citizens

If you are a non-EU-citizen coming over to Europe to live and work, you have to meet visa requirements. For tourist stays of up to 3 months, international travel insurance is usually accepted (at least €36,000 cover for the Schengen countries). 

However, please note that Germany has very strict new health insurance laws, which may require a different solution for longer stays. It's impossible to choose quotes simply from the internet because they do not reflect the legal situation.

Contact John Gunn, independent insurance broker and English teacher in Germany since 1992, for expert advice and quotes before you leave your home country so you know what to expect.