Professional Liability Insurance

Berufshaftpflicht for freelancers and self-employed

This type of insurance is often confused with company liability insurance (Betriebshaftpflichtversicherung), which covers damage to persons and assets. 

Professional liability insurance exists to protect you from the consequences of causing damage to a third party in the course of your occupational activities.

Freelancers and self-employed people are just as liable under German law as any company, civil servant (Beamte), employee or private person for unlimited damages.

This insurance is a legal obligation for many professions, including insurance brokers, financial advisors and those professions organized in associations (called Kammerberufe in Germany), for example: architects, doctors, engineers, lawyers, psychotherapists, tax consultants, vets and
dentists, who are not even allowed to work without it.

It is, of course, highly recommended for other specialists such as IT professionals and even language, sports and dance or other teachers. Many schools will not allow you to start teaching your courses without it.

Most insurance companies in Germany offer cover across Germany but some even provide world-wide policies.

What does such an insurance cost?

• It depends on the profession
• It depends on the insurance company
• It depends on the insurance sums
• It depends on the level of the deductible/excess, if applicable